Tag Archives: animatic

Prototyping – A Killing House

After six months (almost seven!) I can say that I’ve reached what is effectively the ‘end of the road’ insofar as the Citizen prototype is concerned.

I’d like to recap what I am trying to accomplish in this prototype.

I am very aware of my inexperience; I’ve never done a game before, and so I don’t know what works and what doesn’t. I only have my own taste and sensibility for what it’s worth. Though I believe (or hope) I can pull it off, I don’t know what¬†it really is, so this prototype has been an effort to put all the ideas that I’ve come up with into one package. I thought to myself that creating systems for a game is relatively straightforward. But can I integrate any number of those systems with each other, and have them work? If I can manage that in a prototype, then I would have the blueprint for an actual game.

I created this prototype with that mind. And having experienced the troubles of illogical inconsistencies in system, bugs of a generic sort, it feels like I’m about to ‘ship’ a game without the danger of flagellation from Steam reviews.

This is my version of the Killing House, where I rehearse and train for the game I’m going to make. I’m using live rounds and making it as realistic as possible because I want to, as much as possible, be prepared for the task up ahead. I put as much effort into it because if I can get this to a level that I’m happy with, then it’s quite possible that I can pull it off when I make the final game in Unity.

Making the prototype itself was grueling enough. I don’t remember burning so much midnight oil since I was a fledgling 3D artist back more than a decade ago. Not every idea or implementation would make it to the end. But none of those aborted/abandoned things were wasted on the experience of trying to make it.

For example, the game narrative script that I wrote at the beginning is now completely different. However, it served as a springboard for identifying and designing the systems I need to have in place, so it was still a profitable and necessary first step.

There were other ideas, like the ‘Multi-Vision System’, ‘Stacker’, and ‘Map Layers’ that I dreamed up up that had to be thrown away due to either being too oblique, complicated, or just plainly stupid.

Also, I had created and rendered NPC assets which were not used in the final version of the prototype due to a change in narrative.

While there are clear advantages working in Unity — certain bugs and limitations that I’ve encountered in C2 will no longer be relevant — I’m aware that I’m facing a world of hurt in Unity-land, too. Naturally, I will take advantage of what Unity has to offer, as well, such as a full 3D environment (something which I’m comfortable with), dynamic lighting, and a robust pathfinding system, among others. All the while, I must remember to keep it simple. It’s possible that I may have to even dumb down the game more so in Unity, to keep it within my capabilities.


Sights…


Towards the end of the development, I started working on a introductory cinematic, which was a fun thing to do. It wasn’t intended to accurate represent the all the details of the story but only to give a good idea what it’s all about. Here are some screen shots:






Here are some additional screen shots demonstrating how it looks like.

Sample environment. On-screen interfaces (bottom, upper-left, upper-right)
Sample inventory screen. Item descriptions, icons.
Sample dialogue panel (Convo). Portrait.

I posted a gameplay sampler which demonstrates some of the systems in action.


… and sounds!


I’ve also cut up some audio (re-learning Cubase again!) to use with the prototype. I may post a complete playthrough in the future, perhaps after some of my friends play it first themselves and hopefully give some feedback.

 

Advertisements